Wednesday, October 12, 2011

OMG Carrot Soup!

You know the saying that at times dogs resemble their owners? Well I find this old adage to be very true! Just pay attention next time you stroll trough a park or your local farmer's market. Or flip through your cable channels until you stumble upon a random broadcast of a Best in Show competition, you'll see it if you haven't already. Its incredible how often that it happens. Just think of Paris Hilton and her little Chihuahua....OK so here is the reason I am sharing this with you.
The same way that some pets resemble their owners, I believe certain foods resemble, remind and are associated with certain people. In my case this INCREDIBLE carrot soup will forever be associated with my INCREDIBLE sister in law Sherry. No she's not a red head, and does not look like a pretty bowl of soup. I associate this soup with her for several reasons.


1. She is the one from whom I got this recipe and who is notorious for preparing it at our family gatherings whether she likes it or not (I MAKE HER).
2. The soup posseses many of the same characteristics as she does. It is simple yet complex, down to earth, deliciously spicy (Love you Sherry), approachable and everyone is guaranteed to love it as we love her!
3. You can always rely on it to make you feel soothed and loved (as she does)
4. It tastes absolutely AMAZING!


I have always thought of Sherry when I think if this soup, and it is hands down one of my absolute favorite soups. Its beautiful not just in its color but taste. I never get tired of making it or eating it, and now that cooler temperatures have arrived, well sort of (it was in the 60's two days in a row and now back up to high 70's) I cannot wait to start having Sherry's Carrot Soup at least bi weekly! I hope you enjoy the recipe below as much as I have over the years. Love you Sherry, THANK YOU for embodying my favorite soup!


OMG-Carrot soup freak-out! (this is how Sherry Titled the email back when I asked her for the recipe). So here goes.

OMG Carrot Soup!

Ingredients
5 lbs carrots peeled & cut (Make your life easier and get 5lbs of baby carrots that have been clened and washed)
8 cans chicken broth
3 stalks of celery chopped
1 large onion chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
salt to taste
cayenne pepper
black pepper to taste
handful fresh dill chopped
juice of 1/2 a lemon
sour cream
1 large red bell pepper


1.) In a saute pan, cook the onion and garlic in a little olive oil, add juice of half a lemon. Cook until golden.

2.) Transfer the onion and garlic mixture to a large soup pot, add the chopped carrots, celery, dill, salt, pepper , a little cayenne (if you wish-we like ours spicy), and 8 cans of chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Let simmer until all the veggies are soft (about 1-2 hours).

3.) Let soup cool in the pot for about an hour.

4.) Puree the soup in small batches using a blender. Transfer back to the pot, reheat, adjust seasonings as and if needed, to taste.

5.) Garnish with a dab of sour cream and slice of red bell pepper before you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment